Sunday, 31 July 2011
Just a couple of hints to outsmart some victims you know ;)
(via @stephanienour and www.dilbert.com)
One way to feel smart is to pursue a lifetime of learning. But that's a lot of work. An easier method is to make the people around you appear dumber. I'll share with you some tricks for making your friends, coworkers, family members, and spouses (your victims) look and feel like morons.
1. When your victim makes any statement of fact or opinion, look at him as if he's wearing a turd for a hat. Repeat what he said, but slowly, as if you're prompting him to see how stupid he is on his own.
2. After your victim utters a statement of any kind, slowly shake your head in the "no" direction and make a dismissive sound such as "pffft." When challenged to explain your reaction, insist there is no problem, but do so unconvincingly.
3. Pounce on your victim's every mispronunciation, misspelling, and poor choice of words like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Make sure you dwell long enough on your GOTCHA moment that it creates a lasting memory. (If people try the same trick on you, dismiss them as pedantic.)
4. When confronted with a new but minor task, such as opening an unfamiliar container, most people require a few seconds of thinking and perhaps a failed attempt or two before they work out a solution. If you see someone in this state, grab the object out your victim's hand and try whatever solutions have not yet been tried, thus making you the successful container opener and your victim the failed container opener.
5. Continuously instruct your victim to do whatever you think he or she is likely to do on his own anyway, e.g. "Don't step in that puddle." If you do it often enough it creates the illusion that the victim can't navigate the simplest obstacles in life without adult supervision.
6. Ask your victim to remember details that no normal human could be expected to recall, such as the exact wording of a conversation that happened a month ago. This method can also be used to frame your victim as a liar.
7. Ask your victim to remind you to do a future task. Pick a time for your request when the victim is distracted or can't write a note to himself, such as when he or she is driving or swimming. Later, after you remember on your own to do the task, remind your victim of his forgetfulness.
8. Give your victim vague and unintelligible instructions such as "Can you go find the thing I put in the (mumble)?" When your victim fails to find the object, go directly to the correct drawer, produce the object you want, hold it high like Excalibur, and give a victory TA-DA!
9. Steer conversations away from topics you know little about and toward topics your victim knows little about. If the victim tries the same trick on you, excuse yourself to make a phone call.
10. Ask your victim to do a minor task for you. After he or she agrees, add a layer of complexity that will guarantee failure. The initial request might be something simple such as "pick up something from the store." The extra layer of complexity is that the item doesn't exist in this dimension.
That's a starter list. You might have some tips of your own to add, let us know!!
Thursday, 28 July 2011
Wednesday, 27 July 2011
UPDATE: Zeid Hamdan was just released, you can follow all the news on Twitter #FreeZeid
A very disappointing and sad event was witnessed today in Beirut, LEBANON
One of the most talented Lebanese artists Zeid Hamdan (former SoapKills frontman) was arrested today over his release of a short song 1 year ago!!
the song below, showcases what most youth and the Lebanese society is feeling
Distraught over the current Lebanese political and social situation with the never ending status of corruption and militia control and brainwash.
The song's final words addressing the current president General Suleiman state : General Suleiman, GO Home!!
the song itself is a work of talent with vibrant beats and straight to the point lyrics, and a visually attractive video clip.
It is interesting to know why the authorities have waited one long year to get their act up and decide the unimaginable arrest of the artist.
In a country considered as the forerunner of free speech and free expression advocate, seeing this makes you think twice about the song itself and its valid arguments.
Yet another event that makes me ashamed of holding the Lebanese nationality, but still i am fortunate and proud to see the hope rise in me again of this country to one day rise back from its ashes, restore its "Switzerland of the Middle East" status and prove what a wonderful country it can fly out to be,, this hope which artists like Zeid and his work keep thriving to never let this flame die in us.
Tuesday, 5 July 2011
Im always on the lookout for creative ad copies and ad executions and such, being in the industry and all; and having a penchant for creativity and ideation.
The latest campaign to strike my eye, was that of Almaza Beer (Lebanese Beer)... which brough back some memories of their ads in the recent years.
They have been relying heavily on popular saying in the lebanese dialect and twisting them to fit the brand and product... it is gona be quite tricky to explain and translate the messages, but for lebos, you'll get it immediately and salute the creativity
|The latest one, with the line, "Blonde or Brunette" which is spot on, for the different bottles they sell.|
|With the plethora of political parties in Lebanon, they chose to ride the wagon and be the party of 24!|
|The copy reads:|
1971 (right) : Lebanese Georgina Rizk crowned Miss Universe...we celebrated
1990 (left): it settled (end of the civil war in lebanon ... we back to celebrating
|A lebanese dialect specificity where we turn names into actions like We McDonalded? (as in let's go, we grab a mcdees)|
|After 2 disturbing summers in Lebanon, the copy reads "2008, what ever happens, we gona celebrate)|
|It was a period of elections, and the copy reads "This summer, everyone's eye is on the chair"|
|The copy reads "it must open again" in the sense that, good fortune must come around|
|The brewery of Almaza is situated in Dawra, and witnesses heavy traffic, as it is one of the capital's main entry/exit points.|
The copy reads "you think the Dawra traffic is because of me?"
Please share any new Almaza ads when you spot them!